Report on Pond Preservation Activity from
1. The two villages that we have selected and
implementing our pond preservation activities are namely
Kalosgram and Char Aicha under the district of Barisal,
whose progress up to August 31st is highlighted below:
· An office has been set up at Barisal Sadar and assigned
a Coordinator to monitor frequently the pond preservation
process with a continuous technical support from Brotee
Head Office in Dhaka for effective implementation.
· Series of Focus Group Discussion (FGD), Personal
counseling with the arsenic victims continuing till to
date in the mentioned villages to raise their awareness.
· Formed two Arsenic Rogi Sangho (ARS) as well as two
Gono Gobeshona Dal (GGD) in both villages.
· Prepared structural questionnaire to find out arsenic
· Conducted series of training/orientation to GGD & ARS
on how to mitigate arsenic problem and options for safe
· A professor under the department of dermatology of
Barisal Medical College associated with us since inception
of our project who looks after arsenic victims at his
chamber as and when required.
· A few antioxidants (Vitamin A, C & E) distributing
time to time among arsenic victims.
· ARS along with GGD prepared arsenic patient list at
the said villages.
· Re-excavated two ponds both Kalosgram & Char Aicha
donated by the community.
· Build up dike and placed fence surrounding ponds soon
after digging ponds.
· Arsenic victims are convinced to drink pond water
after water treatment.
· Since last June 2002, the arsenic victims are
drinking pond water after purification through alum.
· Meanwhile, level of awareness on safe water and
arsenicosis has increased.
· Patient to be monitored for the next six months.
· For critical patients we refer them to Dhaka
Community Hospital and Barisal Medical College.
· We have been collecting pond water of two villages
each and every month and send it to laboratory for water
quality testing here in Dhaka.
· We chalked out a plan of operation to set up Brotee
filter at aforesaid villages within the second week of
this month (It is an action research project).
· Due to continuous motivation and orientation on rain
water harvesting, arsenic victims are collecting rain
water, preserving water in local pots and then drinking.
· Brotee's staff members keep close liaison with the
villagers and provide them with all possible cooperation.
· We are maintaining continuous liaison and sharing
ideas with water experts who are involved in arsenic
2. We built up a dike surrounding the selected pond, so
that the natural disaster like flood will not affect the
pond. It has to be mentioned over here that, meanwhile we
have collected data regarding flood situation index of the
particular area. If flood occurs in the near future, and
if it is unprecedented and beyond control, water level
will be raised over the dike. In particular situations we
shall adopt other option, to supply safe water to the
community people at the villages.